It’s that time of year again. Pull out the cozy sweaters, soft blankets, and bring on the soup recipes! Nothing says comfort food like a bowl of hot soup on a cold day. This thick and hearty soup is a perfect fit.
This recipe is a simple soup that is delicious and filling. Double the recipe to feed a larger group or freeze some for later. Add in whatever meat suits your crowd. Enjoy!
Thick and Hearty Potato Soup
- 7-8 peeled and sliced potatoes
- 1 pound of cooked ham cubes (browned), bacon, or sausages (choose one or more)
- 1 small onion
- 1 pound of Velveeta® cheese (Queso if you want to spice things up) or shredded cheese to liking (you can get creative and try different cheeses)
- 1 cup chopped frozen broccoli
- Beef or Chicken Broth
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour for thickening
- 1 cup half-and-half or milk
- ground pepper
- Toppings of choice (shredded cheese, sour cream, etc)
- In a large stockpot add potatoes, broccoli, onion, and meat of choice. Cover with broth until potatoes are barely covered. Cook about 7-8 minutes or until potatoes are starting to get tender.
- Turn to a low simmer and pick out about one cup of potoates (only) and mash in a bowl. Add the flour a little at a time. Then add in broth from the pot until thick.
- Dump the paste back into the soup and add in cheese as cubes or shredded cheese. Simmer until the cheese melts. Add in the half-and-half or milk and ground pepper. Stir and simmer until thoroughly mixed and hot. If soup is too thick add in more half-and-half or milk.
- Add in your favorite toppings and enjoy. Dip some Texas Toast in the soup as a bonus!